Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 18 May 2016

Forest Schools, Whittling and Fire Making



This week we looked at whittling using food peelers. This is the introduction to knife use in Forest School. Until the children are older and more competent with how to use these they are not given knives. When they are, it is also introduced in a highly structured way.

The children found this process tricky, it was more challenging, but they enjoyed the process as you can see in this video!

My thoughts were that these 'tent pegs' could be used in creating construction projects in visual arts down the line...




I was conscious that I was balancing the curriculum objectives with the main principles of the Forest School framework. I'd like to have this skills spread out a bit more, but needed to include them in my 6 week sessions as part of my Forest School Leader qualification.

Fire Making was also created in a very safe environment- safety was of utmost importance, and the correct procedures were followed as learned at Forest School Leadership training. 


We used a fire steel, cotton wool and a scallop shell to light our small fires. 



No comments:

Post a Comment